Explore golden opportunities for global education with our curated list of the ‘Top Scholarships for International Students.’ Unlock doors to prestigious academic pursuits and financial support as we guide you through a comprehensive showcase of scholarships designed to empower aspiring scholars worldwide.
From merit-based grants to specialized programs, discover the key to realizing your academic dreams and shaping a brighter future. Find the perfect scholarship to fuel your international education journey with our expertly compiled guide.
Scholarships for International Students
Most students want to study abroad at prestigious universities of global standards, but when calculating the fees, they drop the idea. But do you know that you can conveniently study at your dream university abroad and get your fees covered?
Scholarships for international students allow you to study at good universities abroad. Some of these scholarships are fully funded, while some are partially funded. Some are merit-based, and others are need-based. So, it is essential to understand the dynamics of a scholarship before applying for it.
In this article, I will take you through the top 10 scholarships for international students. We will examine their eligibility criteria, how to apply, and what they cover.
Top Scholarships for International Students
Here are the top 10 scholarships for international students, including their eligibility criteria, what they cover, and how to apply.
1. Chevening Scholarship (UK)
Chevening scholarship is among the best scholarships for international students who want to study in the UK. This scholarship is only open for international students who want to undergo a one-year master’s degree in a UK university. You must have been admitted to any eligible UK university to apply for the Chevening scholarship. Note that you cannot apply for the Chevening scholarship if you hold a British citizenship status.
- You must be a citizen of an eligible Chevening country.
- You must have at least an equivalent of an upper-class honors degree in the UK, but this might differ depending on your university choice or course.
- You must be willing to return to your home country for at least two years after completing your studies.
- Have at least two years or equivalent to 2,800 hours of work experience.
What it covers: It’s fully funded and covers a monthly stipend and transport costs to and from the UK.
How to Apply: Click here to apply.
Commonwealth scholarship is a distinguished scholarship for international students, open for those seeking to run their Masters and PhD at UK universities. The British Council oversees and awards this scholarship to academically exceptional students in Commonwealth partner countries.
Eligible fields of study include Pure and Applied Sciences, Agriculture, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering.
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of a Commonwealth country. As a British refugee or protected person, you are also eligible.
- You must have a 70% success rate or more in your academics.
- You must have completed an undergraduate degree of at least upper second class (2:1). For a PhD, you must have an appropriate master’s degree.
- You must be unable to cater or afford to study in the UK without a scholarship.
What it covers: Tuition Fees, travel, and living expenses.
How to apply: Depending on the particular Commonwealth scholarship, you can apply through a university, NGO, or National Nominating Agency. Click the C$C apply page to know the appropriate way to apply.
3. Fulbright Scholarships (USA)
Fulbright is one of the most popular and notable scholarships for international students who want to study in the USA. This scholarship is open to over 4,000 students from across 155 different countries.
This government-based scholarship is open for teachers, professionals, artists, and graduates, and to be eligible, you must have studied for at least a year in the United States. The eligibility for the scholarship may vary with the country.
- You must be a citizen or national of the United States of America at the time of the application. You are not eligible as a permanent resident of the United States.
- You must have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
- You must have a J.D. at the time of application
- You must satisfy the language requirement
What it covers: Tuition fees, living expenses and travel expenses
How to Apply: Click here and follow the guidelines to apply.
4. Eiffel Excellence Scholarship Programme (France)
The Eiffel Excellence Scholarship Programme is one of the most notable scholarships for international students pursuing Master’s or PhD programs at any university in France. The French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs manages and awards this scholarship.
Not all programs are covered under this scholarship. The eligible fields of study are law, engineering sciences, political science, economics, and management. Unlike some scholarships, this does not cover your tuition fee but gives you financial aid to cover secondary costs.
- You must be an international student and submit a photocopy of your passport for verification.
- You must submit your application via French education institutions. Your application will be rejected if it is submitted via other sources. You must be going for a Master’s or Ph.D. program.
What it covers: 1,323 USD allowance per month, which is 15,873 USD per year.
How to Apply: Click here and follow the guidelines to apply.
5. Endeavour Postgraduate Awards (Australia)
Suppose you desire to study at one of the finest universities in Australia. In that case, The Endeavour postgraduate award is one of the best prestigious scholarships that can make that possible for you.
The Endeavour postgraduate award is an Australian government merit-based scholarship for eligible non-Australians to pursue a postgraduate program in either a Master’s or PhD level. This scholarship rewards you with AU$272,500 for study, professional, or research development opportunities during your study period in Australia.
Your coursework can be research-based or classroom-based and can last over 4 years. You must be exceptionally intelligent to compete for this scholarship due to its highly competitive nature.
- You must be at least 18 years old at the commencement of the program
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an eligible country
- You must not hold any Australian Government scholarship or sponsored fellowship
What it covers: 272,500 AUD for tuition fees, including a $3,000 travel allowance, $2,000 fellowships or $4,000 scholarships establishment allowance, and a $3,000 monthly stipend.
How to apply: Click here to apply.
6. Rotary Foundation Global Study Grants (Global)
The Rotary Foundation awards scholarships for international students pursuing a research or graduate-level program for one to four years of study. A university with the Rotary Club or district is eligible for the scholarship. You can apply to them.
This scholarship covers your tuition fee, living expenses, and transportation costs. Eligible programs include any field of study that deals with primary education and literacy, economic and community development, disease prevention, and treatment.
Peace and conflict prevention or water and sanitation, maternal and child health.
- For the certificate program at Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda, the applicant must be an African and have worked in Africa or with African communities outside the continent.
- For the certificate program at Bahçeşehir University, Istanbul, Turkey, you must be from North Africa or the Middle East, have worked in the region, or anywhere around the world with communities affiliated to the Middle East or North Africa.
What it covers: Up to 30,000 USD, including other expenses.
How to apply: Contact the local Rotary clubs or the Rotary Club Locator here
The GREAT scholarship is one of the top scholarships for international students available to international students from 15 countries for one-year postgraduate degree courses. The UK’s government jointly funds this scholarship with participating institutions like the University of Nottingham, New Castle University, UCL, etc.
In the 2023-24 session, GREAT offered over 200 scholarships to integrating students to study in more than 71 universities across Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.
- You must be from a participating country, have an undergraduate degree, and be interested in the proposed subject area.
- You must satisfy the English language requirement of the UK HEI.
What it covers: 10,000 Euro tuition fees.
8. Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships (Canada)
The Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation scholarship is a safe option for international students who want to study a program among the various disciplines in social sciences, humanities, business schools, law, and public health in Canada.
This scholarship is only open for Ph.D. students undergoing research on one or more of the four central themes: Responsible Citizenship, Human Rights and Dignity, People and their Natural Environment, Canada and the World.
- You must be a Doctoral student in year one, two, or three full-time programs whose work relates to one of the Foundation’s four themes: Responsible Citizenship, Human Rights and Dignity, Canada and the World, and People and their natural environment,
- Open for Canadian and non-Canadian students studying in any of the Canadian universities.
What it covers: 40,000 CAD stipend with 20,000 travel allowance and CAD research for three years.
This scholarship is specifically designed and awarded to individuals from developing countries who have professional experience and seek to study in a development-related field at a master’s degree level in universities in Africa, the USA, Africa, Oceania, and Europe universities.
- You must have a bachelor’s degree in an eligible field for at least three years before the application period.
- You must possess at least three years of development experience
- You must not be a dual citizen
What it covers: Tuition Fees, health insurance, monthly stipend, travel allowances, etc.
How to apply: Click here to download the file for application.
The Aga Khan Foundation offers Aga Khan scholarships to international students who want to undergo a postgraduate degree. This scholarship also provides the awarded recipients opportunities to develop into effective scholars and leaders and adequately prepare for employment.
This scholarship is accepted across several universities worldwide, except in the UK, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Austria, Ireland, and Norway. The only thing here is that the scholarship is limited only to a few numbers, making it super competitive.
- Exceptional academic records.
- You must demonstrate Genuine financial needs.
- You must have gained admission to a reputable institution of higher learning.
- Strong professional experience, leadership skills, extracurricular achievements, and volunteer contributions.
What it covers: Tuition Fees and living expenses.
How to apply: Application is made through an annual competitive process. Click on this official website to keep a tab on the information.
These 10 top scholarships for international students are open every year. All you have to do is carefully review their eligibility criteria and ensure you are qualified.
Go to the “How to apply” link and understand the processes before you begin.
Ensure you carry out all the activities before the deadline.