Embark on a transformative academic journey with our guide to fully funded scholarships in the UK for international students. Uncover prestigious opportunities that cover tuition, living expenses, and more. Navigate application processes, eligibility criteria, and turn your aspirations into reality. Secure your place in top UK universities without the financial burden – explore the key to unlocking your educational dreams today!
Fully Funded Scholarships in the UK for International Students
The prospect of studying in the United Kingdom, with its rich academic and diverse culture, often seems like a beacon of opportunity for international students, especially those from third-world countries. However, the financial implications of such an endeavor can be daunting. Some international students cannot even afford partially funded scholarships and, as such, seek fully funded ones.
This article explores the best fully funded scholarships in the UK for international students. These scholarships cover their full expenses throughout their program duration, empowering them to cross borders and contribute to the global academic discourse.
Fully Funded Scholarships In The UK For International Students – What Does It Entail
A fully funded scholarship for international students in the UK means that the scholarship covers all the significant expenses associated with studying abroad. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Tuition Fees: The scholarship covers the entire cost of tuition for the duration of the program.
- Living Expenses: This includes allowances for accommodation, food, and other daily expenses.
- Travel Expenses: Some fully funded scholarships also cover the cost of travel to and from the home country to the host country.
- Study Materials: Funding may also cover the cost of books, study materials, and other related expenses.
- Health Insurance: Some scholarships provide health insurance coverage during the study period.
- Research Costs: For research-based programs, the scholarship might cover expenses related to research activities.
You should note that fully funded scholarships are highly competitive and are usually awarded to students with outstanding academic achievements, leadership skills, and a strong commitment to their field of study. These scholarships aim to alleviate the financial burden on international students, allowing them to focus better on their studies and make the most of their academic experience in the host country.
Top 9 Fully Funded Scholarships In The UK For International Students
Here are the top 9 fully funded scholarships in the UK for international students.
Chevening Scholarships are one of the most prestigious and highly sought-after fully UK government-sponsored fully funded scholarships in the UK for international students. The awards typically cover tuition fees, travel costs to and from the UK, living expenses, and additional allowances.
Established to develop global leaders, Chevening Scholarships provide outstanding intelligent individuals worldwide an opportunity to pursue postgraduate studies at leading universities in the United Kingdom.
Chevening Scholarships are available to applicants from over 160 countries and territories, making them one of the most inclusive international scholarship programs. It covers a wide range of academic disciplines, allowing scholars to pursue master’s degrees in areas that align with their career goals and the needs of their home countries.
Level of study: Masters
- Possess citizenship in a country or territory eligible for Chevening.
- Commit to returning to your country of citizenship for at least two years after completing your award.
- Successfully fulfils all requirements of an undergraduate degree, enabling admission to a postgraduate program at a UK university at the time of application submission. Typically, this equates to an upper second-class honors degree in the UK, though specific criteria may vary based on your chosen course and university.
- Demonstrate at least two years of work experience, equivalent to 2,800 hours.
- Apply to three eligible UK university courses and secure an unconditional offer from one of these choices by the deadline outlined in the application timeline.
Commonwealth Scholarships are merit-based and need-based fully funded scholarships in the UK for international students funded by the UK government and are available for students from Commonwealth countries pursuing higher education in the United Kingdom. These scholarships cover full tuition, living expenses, airfare and other essential allowances, relieving scholars of financial burdens and enabling them to focus on their studies.
Administered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC), these scholarships aim to contribute to individuals from developing nations by providing access to quality education and fostering cross-cultural collaboration.
Level of study: Postgraduate
- You must hold citizenship or permanent residency in a Commonwealth country. Eligibility extends to refugees or British-protected persons as well.
- You must possess an undergraduate honours degree, achieving at least an upper second class (2:1). If pursuing a PhD, a relevant master’s degree is also required.
- You must demonstrate an inability to pursue studies in the UK without the assistance of the scholarship. For more specific eligibility criteria, click on the CSC website.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships is a prestigious and highly competitive funding opportunity for outstanding international students wishing to pursue postgraduate studies at the University of Cambridge. Initiated by the Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation, these scholarships aim to identify and support individuals who demonstrate exceptional academic achievements, leadership potential, and a commitment to addressing global challenges.
Recipients of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship receive comprehensive financial support, covering the full cost of tuition, a maintenance allowance, and additional discretionary funding for various needs such as academic development, family support, and fieldwork.
Level of study: Postgraduate
- You must be a citizen of any country other than the United Kingdom and apply for enrollment in one of the specified courses at the University of Cambridge.
- The eligible courses comprise full-time or part-time Ph.D., full-time MLitt, and specific exceptions for full-time one-year postgraduate courses, as detailed below.
These scholarships are awarded through a rigorous and highly competitive global selection process, emphasizing academic excellence, leadership, and a demonstrated commitment to service.
Rhodes Scholars receive comprehensive financial support, covering the full cost of tuition, a stipend for living expenses, and a travel allowance to and from Oxford.
Level of study: Postgraduate
The eligibility criteria differ from county to country.
Click on this link to know your eligibility criteria in relation to your country and how to apply.
The University of Westminster scholarships are among the best fully funded scholarships in the UK for international students pursuing bachelor’s degree programs. It holds significant value as it encompasses a full tuition fee award, covers accommodation expenses, provides living allowances, and includes round-trip flights to and from London.
This generous scholarship is granted for the entire duration of the recipient’s program, ensuring sustained financial support throughout their academic journey at the University of Westminster.
Designed to benefit eligible students from developing countries, the University of Westminster’s scholarship program welcomes applicants aspiring to pursue full-time degrees across various fields of study in the UK.
Level of study: Bachelor’s degree
How to Apply: To apply for the Westminster International Undergraduate Full Scholarship, candidates are required to submit offline applications. It is recommended that scholarship applicants utilize a tracked courier service whenever feasible. The university explicitly does not accept applications transmitted via email or fax. All completed forms must be physically posted to the university address d.
- You must be from a developing country to qualify as an international candidates.
- You must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program at the University of Westminster.
- You must demonstrate exemplary academic performance, demonstrated financial need, and evident potential for personal and societal development.
The University of Bradford Global Development Scholarships aims to assist international students facing financial challenges due to political instability, war, natural disasters, etc., in their home countries. This scholarship applies to students currently enrolled or planning to enrol in a full-time Master’s program (excluding MBA) at the University of Bradford.
Each scholarship is valued at around £25,000, covering full tuition fees, accommodation in The Green, and £4,200 annually for living expenses, disbursed in three instalments – October, January, and April.
Level of study: Masters
- Qualify as an international student.
- Fulfil the admission criteria of the chosen master’s degree program at the University of Bradford.
- Satisfy any stipulated academic or language prerequisites for the scholarship.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarships program offers fully funded coverage covering accommodation expenses, living costs, travel, and tuition fees for students enrolled in on-campus courses at the University of Edinburgh.
Over the next seven years, The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at The University of Edinburgh is committed to offering fully-funded scholarships to 80 undergraduate and 120 postgraduate African students.
Additionally, 60 scholars from other MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions will have the opportunity to benefit from participating in various online distance learning Master’s programs offered by the University of Edinburgh.
Level of Study: Undergraduates and Postgraduates
How to Apply: Apply via the university’s official website
- For those pursuing an undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree, applicants should be 29 years old or younger at the time of application. Similarly, for those seeking a graduate (master’s) degree, you must be 35 years old or under when submitting your applications.
Erasmus Mundus Scholarship is one of the best fully funded scholarships in the UK for international students to pursue joint master’s or doctoral programs offered by consortia of European universities.
The European Commission administers this scholarship. Erasmus Mundus Scholarships aim to promote intercultural understanding through mobility and academic exchange.
Recipients of Erasmus Mundus Scholarships receive comprehensive financial support, including coverage for tuition fees, travel expenses, living allowances, and insurance.
Level of Study: Postgraduate Studies
- When submitting your application, you must not have resided in any eligible European country for more than 12 months within the last 5 years.
- You should not have been recipients of a similar scholarship under the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 project.
- A bachelor’s degree with recognized credentials is a prerequisite for eligibility.
- You are expected to possess an outstanding academic record and relevant work experience.
- You must satisfy the minimum English language criteria, such as achieving a score of English 6 or English B at the upper-secondary level or equivalent in a globally recognized English proficiency test (TOEFL or IELTS).
9. The Rotary Foundation Scholarships & Grants
With a history spanning over a century, The Rotary Foundation has dedicated over $4 billion to impactful and sustainable projects. Through the Rotary Foundation Global Grant scholarships, the Foundation provides funding for graduate-level coursework or research covering one to four academic years.
It has a minimum budget for a global grant scholarship is $30,000, which can be allocated to cover various expenses, including passport/visa fees, inoculations, travel costs, school supplies, tuition, and room and board.
The scholarship includes passport/visa fees, inoculations, travel costs, school supplies, tuition, and room and board expenses.
Level of study: Postgraduate studies
How to apply: Contact the local Rotary Foundation
These fully funded scholarships in the UK for international students are highly competitive, and you need to demonstrate exceptional academic, leadership and extra-curricular ability to be qualified. Ensure you carefully read the eligibility criteria before applying.